Monday, May 5, 2014

About Learning Spanish With Kids

I am only fluent in one language--English.  I wish that weren't the case.  I speak Spanish and ASL sign language just well enough to stumble through a very basic conversation with a patient native speaker.  Yet even with my poor amount of skill I've found what I know of these other languages useful.  When the only restaurant we could find open Christmas eve was a Taqueria with a waitress that spoke less English than we spoke Spanish, we got by.  When my dad's roommate at the nursing home was a man that only spoke Spanish, I was able communicate at least a little.  Moments like these show me what a gift a second language is.

And the best time to learn a second language is when you are still young...so I am trying to teach my Children Spanish (and sign) even though I'm still only learning myself.  I'm learning with them, and I want to share what I learn and find helpful in the process here with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment